Scarlets vs Exeter Chiefs – Report – Anglo-Welsh Cup 2018 – 12 Nov, 2017


Exeter made it two wins from two in this season’s Anglo-Welsh Cup as they sealed a comprehensive 40-0 victory over Scarlets.

The away pack laid the foundation for this success in Llanelli, creating five of their team’s six tries.

Shaun Malton, James Freeman, a hat-trick of penalty scores and a Tom Hendrickson effort contributed to the Chiefs’ points with fly-half Joe Simmonds adding two conversions.

Scarlets gave it their all – but their forwards spent all day in reverse as they failed to trouble the scoreboard.

A youthful home side moved the ball well early on, but fly-half Jack Maynard missed a simple chance to open the scoring with a penalty and the Chiefs soon responded.

The Aviva Premiership champions, 43-28 winners over Northampton in their opening game of this competition, had plenty of experience in their starting line-up.

England internationals Ollie Devoto and Matt Kvesic started the game, with Red Rose hooker Luke Cowan-Dickie in reserve.

Exeter’s forward power proved the difference between the teams. An away shove saw hooker Malton driven over from close range for the opening score.

The conversion was missed and although Exeter lost captain Kai Horstmann to injury, the quality of replacement Dave Ewers showed just what Scarlets were up against.

There was still time before the break for the Chiefs to add another score eerily similar to their first. Flanker Freeman was the one to emerge with the ball, Simmonds converting.

Maynard was awry with another three-point effort just before the break and when the game restarted, Exeter were full of intent.

Scarlets were unable to deal with the visitors’ momentum and as their scrum went backwards at a rate of knots, referee Karl Dickson awarded a penalty try.

The automatic seven points put Exeter firmly in control and the Scarlets unloaded their bench in search of fresh legs and a way back into the game.

It failed to make a difference. Home substitute Javan Sebastian was yellow carded for pulling down an Exeter maul, Dickson once again blowing up and running between the sticks for a second penalty score of the afternoon.

Although the result had long since been decided, Exeter kept going and Steffan Thomas was the next home player to be sent to the sin-bin for an infringement.

It allowed replacement Hendrickson to cross under the posts and there was still time for yet another penalty try as Exeter made it a round 40 points by the full-time whistle.

Source link

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Rob Brant defeats Ryota Murata to win secondary middleweight world title
Anthony Joshua v Deontay Wilder
The unlucky legacy of the 2018 Houston Astros
Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Wade Miley exits after just one batter vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Shad Khan backing out of Wembley sale could impact Jaguars’ viability – Jacksonville Jaguars Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *